blueberry consolation



Isn't this picture fantastic? I wish that I could say that I took it, but I didn't. My brother and my best friend, otherwise known as Nate and Hannah, took a trip to Assateague Island.They are actually there right now. ( Did I mention how lovely and convenient it is when your brother and best friend are a couple?)They sent these via camera phone. We were supposed to go with them, but just couldn't manage it. I think a few days of beach and camping and wild horses is just what I needed,so i was pretty bummed that we couldn't go. I also wanted to be there when my little brother saw the ocean for the first time.But, I do have a great picture of it:



So on a chilly and disappointing day, baking was in order. I've been wanting to make some muffins every since I read this post. I actually have that Ina Garten cookbook, but I'd never baked the muffins. They were exactly what I wanted. The batter was gorgeous, the muffins were gorgeous, the texture wonderful. I've really been wanting the blueberry muffins I remember from my childhood, when muffins were really good, not just big and sickly sweet.


I'm sure that part of the wonder of these muffins is that I made them with butter and eggs and sour cream (albeit light sour cream), when most muffins around here involve flax seed and wheat germ and whole wheat flour. Don't get me wrong, these can be delicious and certainly have their place, but it's just not always what you want.
I love when you make something and the process feels effortless and the result is all that you hoped for.I think this recipe will become a regular around here, even if it alternated with something flax-high fiber.

No comments: