the sporting life

I'm not really much of a sports fan. This is probably partly because I'm not much of an athlete and mostly because the town that I grew up in is fanatical about high school sports that it's been the subject of a well-known documentary.With that much said, I have to admit that it makes me really happy when a hometown team makes good.I'm sure that I've mentioned it before, but my city has a serious inferiority complex. It is pretty well earned, but even amidst the hard knocks, I still happen to think it's a pretty great place to live.I know all about getting close to something good and then having yet another thing not work out.So, it gave me a few goosebumps last night despite the hot humid night, when Devin was refreshing the score and it was clear that our team would win, and all through the night,up and down the street, you could hear people in their living rooms cheering and celebrating. It mad me appreciate the whole notion of sports and community a little better.For a McSweeneys take on the NBA, check this out.



I have no images that are even close to being sports related, but I like this picture from the Tall Ships festival a lot.It also reminds me of the other thing I did yesterday, which was watch the Decemberist's dvd, A Practical Handbook. The live Portland show is really great as are the interviews. I am endlessly fascinated by the evolution of bands. It also includes some music videos. I love the Bachelor and the Bride video. It's a series of animated silhouettes. I tried in vain to track down a link for the video here. Here's a link to the video for O Valencia instead.

As I'm ending this post, I find it hard to believe that I'm about to type "sports" as a label. Maybe I'm getting over my sports rebellion. It probably has something to do with that big birthday I just had.

No comments: