catch-up





This has been a pretty busy past few days, compounded by the fact that I apparently injured myself in a Pilates class. While I'm sure this is not all that uncommon, I still feel silly. It was serious enough that lifting an english muffin was painful. I think I'm on the mend now,thanks in part I'm sure to the coconut cream pie custard Devin brought me from Rosati's.
Friday I had a chance to see Art Spiegelman give a talk moderated by New York Times art critic, Michael Kimmelman.While, he didn't spend as much time on the Maus as I suspect many audience members would have liked, it was really interesting. He had a lot to say about the evolution of the comic book and the graphic novel and their place in the art world.

Best of all, it was a free event that even included a reception. It was held in Cleveland Public Theatre, which is a really great space. They did an amazing job doing a minimalist sort of renovation in a historic theatre. I'm looking forward to going to more events there.

The theatre is located in the Gordon Square Arts District. I like this neighborhood a lot, and it is really coming into it's own. They have the new Ecovillage, a national pilot project to create an ecologically sound neighborhood whose target area is the quarter mile surrounding the new RTA station.. And, finally, what all thriving neighborhoods need, particularly one with a theatre is a great coffee house.

We went to Gypsy Beans & Bakery, which doesn't just make an amazing Mexico City latte with chili and cinnamon, but is really a great community asset, supporting local businesses. Their website serves as a great link to the neighborhood.
We also had some weekend company and did a little shopping and thrifting, followed by a trip to Johnny Mango's to use Devin's birthday coupon.
Tomorrow, some of those thrift store finds.

No comments: